All the Batteries of the Royal Horse Artillery (RHA), often called the ‘Horse Gunners’, trace their history to the formation of the first two RHA troops under the auspices of Field Marshal Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond, Lennox and Aubigny on 1st February 1793. The Duke was a passionate proponent of Horse Artillery, having observed other armies, particularly the Prussians under Frederick the Great, deploy this type of light, fast-moving, and fast-firing artillery which provided highly mobile fire support, especially to the Cavalry. The first RHA Troops and his own Yeomanry troop, the Duke of Richmond’s Light Horse Artillery, were stationed and trained at his Goodwood estate in Sussex.  The RHA grew in numbers and reputation, making significant contributions to the British Army ever since.

From the late 19th Century, the Batteries of the RHA took turns in the ceremonial role, stationed in London. The Troop in its current form was created after the Second World War in 1946 and was built around ‘The Riding Troop’ which had been responsible for mounted training and was given the task of re-starting ceremonial duties after that war. King George VI took a personal interest and gave the modern Troop its name by crossing out the name ‘Riding’ in the visitors’ book and replacing it with ‘King’s’ during his visit on 24 October 1947.

1947 10 24 - Kings proclamation

Since then The Troop has gone on to establish a world-wide reputation for excellence, as soldiers and as great proponents of equestrian sports. Many members of The Troop have represented the Army and the nation over the years, in racing, show jumping, mounted skill at arms, and eventing – including a number of Olympians; The Troop has also provided a number of Chefs d’Equipe of British equestrian teams.